Monday, September 20, 2010

I Am Sam




















Starring:
Sean Penn......Sam Dawson
Michelle Pfeiffer......Rita Harrison Williams
Dakota Fanning......Lucy Diamond Dawson
Dianne Wiest......Annie Cassell

Written and Directed by:
Jessie Nelson

Release Date:
December 28, 2001

Running Time:
132 mins.

Keep in mind while reading this review that I watched this film about a month ago, so some of my recollections may be a bit blurry.

I'm sure you know the general gist of the movie. An autistic father struggles to win back his young daughter in several court sessions after she is taken from him at her birthday party. Let me just say that the performances were flawless. I haven't seen many of his movies (that will change now), but Sean Penn's performance as the painfully optimistic Sam Dawson was heart-breaking. I was near tears at several parts in the movie, and I don't cry easily.

A young Dakota Fanning, whom I'm a huge fan of, was so great in this. I believe this was her first "big" role, and she excelled, ending up at the same level as the other female lead, the always reliable Michelle Pfeiffer. Speaking of, Pfeiffer plays the seemingly cruel and eccentric characters well, and often.

Also a highlight was Dianne Wiest as Annie Cassell, the much needed, leveled adult. She was sweet and loving, but also stern and mysterious. I really liked her character, although the courtroom scene with her was awfully depressing.

I'm surprised it's taken me this long to watch the film, as I've heard it being raved about from critics to close friends. I'm definitely glad I've watched it and I've now added it to my growing list of "Favorite Movies." This will surely be my pick if I'm ever asked for an emotional drama recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment